This is not like any bread with cheese that you can find easily. The biggest difference is that pão de queijo is made with cassava flour instead of normal white flour. The best thing is that this simple bread is gluten free, easy to make and you can make a big batch and freeze it.This bread i s very popular in the state of Minas Gerais, but it’s one more food that Brazil got from the African slaves, and of course in the end of 19th century the cheese and milk became more easily available in Brasil so they added these ingredients to the cassava breads that they already used to make.
- 450g tapioca starch
- 100ml oil
- 250mL milk
- 1 egg
- salt to taste
- 100g parmesan cheese
- 100g mozarella cheese or jarlsberg cheese, grated.
- Mix the milk, salt and oil together and boil them.
- Put this mixture into a bowl with the tapioca starch and mix until combined. Add the two cheeses and mix, then add the egg and continue mixing.
- Put a bit of oil in your hands and shape the dough into balls, leaving it int the freezer for about 10 mins.
- Preheat the oven to 180C and bake the cheese bread for 20-30 minutes or until it’s slightly golden on the outside.