The story goes that the Brigadeiro was created after the Second World War. The name was created to honour a military man that had the rank of brigadier (brigadeiro). By that time he was contesting to be the president of Brazil and because he was famous among women, the most devoted voters decided to create parties to make him more famous and raise funds for his political campaign.
They wanted to make something different and unique. But at that time, because it was after the war, they didn’t have fresh ingredients such as milk so they decided to put together condensed milk, butter and chocolate, and like that they created this amazing sweet. Mr Brigadeiro didn’t win the elections but the sweet for sure won our hearts. Since then in Brazil, the sweet became part of our celebrations and you can’t celebrate a birthday without them. After cake, they are the most expected food in a birthday party and the most well-known traditional dessert from Brazil. There are lots of variations and the traditional way of make it is to mix condensed milk, butter and cocoa. But you can also find the most exotic mixtures: like a brûlée brigadeiro, the mixture of crème brûlèe with brigadeiro.
- 170g chocolate
- 1 tsp cocoa
- 1 can condensed milk
- 1 tbsp butter
- chocolate sprinkles
- Mix the condensed milk with cocoa and butter, adding the dark chocolate.
- Cook it, always mixing until it starts to leave the bottom of the pan (maybe 15-25 mins)
- Transfer this mixture to a bowl and let it cool.
- Place a bit of butter between the hands and roll the mixture into small balls.
- Roll the balls into the chocolate sprinkles.