Pão delícia or delicious bread when translated to english, is a traditional Brazilian bread that you can really only find in the state of Bahia. It’s super easy to make if you compare it with other kind of bread, and also light in texture and colour.
It’s normally served plain or filled with cheese sauce and fine grated parmesan cheese to give a touch of savoury flavour
- 500g Flour type 00
- 50g sugar
- 14g dry yeast
- 40g milk powder
- 1 egg
- 230ml cold water
- 10g salt
- 50ml oil
- 50ml water
- In a bowl combine flour, sugar, yeast and milk powder.
- Add egg and slowly add the first quantity of cold water (230ml) mix well.
- Knead the dough until it’s smooth and it no longer sticks on the hand – around 10 min and add salt. Keep kneading the dough and add the oil.
- After that add the rest of water(50ml) until the dough is smooth again.
- Let the dough rest in a warm place for about 15-20 min or until double the size, divide the dough into little pieces of 30-50gm and shape it into little bowls.
- Grease a baking tray and put the balls inside, leaving about 3cm space between each ball.
- Let it rest again for about 30-40 minutes.
- Add a tray with water into the bottom of the oven and preheat the oven at 180C for about 10 min.
- Bake the bread for about 10-15 min, take it from the oven and let it cool. The time on the oven will depend how light in colour you want it.
150g grated parmesan cheese
Fine grated parmesan cheese
Brush the melted butter, sprinkle grated cheese and serve.