Here is another dish that comes from our colonisers. Bacalhoada is nothing more than a salted cod fish, kind of like a fast confit, which we just eat at Easter time.
Back in Salvador, we eat on Easter Sunday because on Good Friday we eat comida baiana- the amazing local food from Bahia state.
You can find many recipes on the internet and many ways and ingredients to add or take out. But this is the only way I know how to make and is how I make it every time. We normally serve it with rice and a salad, but you can always add other sides as well.
- 600g salted cod* or fresh cod**
- 600g sliced potato into 3cm, parboil***
- About 1 cup olive oil
- Black pepper
- 1 medium red onion
- 3 eggs hard boiled, sliced into quarter
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives
- 1/2 cup cherry tomato
- 1 red capsicum, sliced
- Chopped parsley, garnish
*Salted Cod: if you are making it with salted cod, you will have to start to prepare it about 24 to 48 hours before hand.
Start by rinsing the salted cod very well under cold running water, then place it in a bowl covered with cold tap water and covered with a lid or wrap and refrigerate.
Change the water about 4 to 5 times a day until the cod is almost with no salt, you will know it by testing a little piece of cod. Flake the cod into big chinks and remove any bones. Reserve it.
** Fresh Cod: if you making it with fresh cod, don’t worry about desalt it. Just add salt and black pepper and place it into a pan with hot water and let it cook just until it became white outside, should be around 5 to 10 min. reserve it
*** When cooking the potato, I prefer to slice and then cook it so I can control how cooked is all the slices. Leave it al dente – not too cooked, not too raw. it will finish cook into the oven.
- Preheat the oven to 200C.
- Place some olive oil on the bottom of the baking tray and add half of the sliced onion. Then layer half of the potatoes, half of the sliced capsicum, the fish, a bit of salt, black pepper and some olive oil.
- Repeat the process by putting half of the potatoes, red onion, capsicum and olives, salt, black pepper and finishing with olive oil.
- Cover with aluminium foil and let it cook in the oven for about 40 minutes. You’ll know it’s ready when the potatoes are a bit softer.
- Remove the foil, add the cherry tomatoes, parsley and eggs.